In the first edition of our staff Q&A, we ask service manager Barry Scanlon about his role at Riverside, how his colleagues would describe him and what he couldn’t live without!
Name: Barry Scanlon
Role: Service manager
1. Briefly describe your role:
As the service manager, my role is extremely varied and encompasses many elements – from arranging the engineers’ schedules through to corresponding with our many clients. I am heavily involved in the after sales process, ensuring installation and training is carried out to exceptional standards. Additionally, I am tasked with scheduling annual maintenance inspections – including the proactive customer liaison surrounding this.
2. How long have you been with the company?
It will be two years in March – it’s flown by!
3. What’s the best thing about your job?
I honestly love coming in to work! I enjoy the atmosphere in the office, but – more importantly – I thrive on the challenges my role throws at me, and I get great satisfaction from delivering excellent customer service on behalf of the company.
4. Describe Riverside Waste Machinery in three words:
Honest customer advice!
5. What’s been your biggest work achievement, since joining the team?
For me it’s been the level of customer retention that I’ve maintained, and the nurturing of ongoing business relationships.
6. What top tip would you give to someone thinking of purchasing a baler?
It’s so important to recycle and bale what you possibly can. Weekly waste collections should not be relied on simply because they have always been “the norm”. My advice for someone considering purchasing a waste baler would be to look at what they are spending on waste removal fees and compare the weekly difference if a machine was to be purchased or hired. We offer a range of machines to suit differing needs – and there may even be a rebate value on baled waste!
7. What one word would your colleagues use to describe you?
I would like them to describe me as reliable!
And finally, some more light-hearted questions…
8. What’s your favourite food?
9. How do you relax on a weekend?
Nothing beats spending time with my wife and three children – not forgetting the four dogs and the cat!
10. What’s the one thing you couldn’t live without?
Easy – my wife, Dawn.